Friday, October 13, 2017

Diane Burton’s Love Affair With Star Wars


Last weekend, TNT ran a Star Wars marathon. Since I was in the middle of inputting receipts into Quicken and needed some background noise, I turned on the marathon, catching Episode I: The Phantom Menace close to the beginning. Fortunately, the football game of the year for Michigan residents (University of Michigan vs Michigan State University) didn’t come on until 7:30 pm, so I had control of the remote all afternoon. 😊

Having watched each episode about a million times (slight exaggeration), I knew I could do the financial stuff and follow the movies. Hah. Too many times, a scene would snag my attention. It didn’t take much to yank me away from data input. (Bo-ring) Each time I watch one of the movies, I see something new. Yes, even after a million times. During the big pep talk scene in A New Hope and Mon Mothma says “Many Bothans died to bring us this information” I immediately thought of Rogue One that told that story.

I love the expansion of Star Wars to include side stories, like Rogue One. I’m looking forward to more of them. Just as I’m anxiously awaiting the release of Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi.

Why this fascination with a forty-year-old movie and its sequels? And why are new fans made every generation? I can’t speak for everyone, only my family. (If this sounds vaguely familiar, my post almost three years ago speaks of my family’s fascination with the series.)

Hubs and I saw the original Star Wars in the theater. We enjoyed it so much, we took our kids. When the VCR of the first trilogy came out, I bought it (still have the original tapes), and we watched the films many times. I took my son and his best friend (ages 5 and 6) to Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back and sitting in the front row because we didn’t arrive early enough. (I still remember the crick in my neck.) We’ve watched the entire series on DVD so many times, I think they’re starting to wear out. LOL We passed the torch to our children who in turn have passed it on to their children, all of whom share our passion. Our 7.5-year-old grandson beats everyone at Star Wars Trivial Pursuit. His 10-year-old sister comes in a close second.

When I wrote the previous post (December, 2014), my granddaughter, Toddler Girl, hadn’t been born yet. I did say we’d indoctrinate her in Star Wars. Now, she’s two and a half. Her favorite toys at my house are the three sets of Star Wars nesting dolls. Guess who’s been teaching her the names of the characters? Hehehe. She remembers Chewbacca, BB-8, and the princesses Leia and Rey. Well, I think Rey is a princess. She has to be Luke’s daughter, right? I guess we’ll find out when Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi comes out on December 15th. You can bet our three generations of Star Wars fans will be at the opening. Seeing the trailer yesterday added to the anticipation.


For me, the fascination of the movies is the adventure. Before 1977, I never read science fiction, and I thought previous sci-fi movies were hokey, unbelievable. Because of the manner in which Star Wars was written and filmed, the viewer can easily suspend disbelief. Of course ships travel through space and hop from planet to planet. This was adventure (and romance) that happened to take place in a “galaxy far, far away.” As I’ve said many times, that’s when my love of science fiction romance began. Consequently, I was thrilled when Disney bought the franchise and began making new movies.

I’ve never felt this way about a movie series. I compare every sci-fi film I see to Star Wars. None measure up. (The only ones that come close are the Star Trek series.) As you can tell, I’m still an unabashed fangirl.

What movie series captured you?

Diane Burton once knew the name of every Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo astronaut. After watching the first Star Wars movie, she knew she wanted to write about space adventure. Her Outer Rim series (The Pilot, The Chameleon,and The Protector) are about strong women (like Star Wars heroines Leia, Rey, and Jyn) on the frontier of space. Read about Diane's books at www.dianeburton.com




11 comments:

CJ Burright said...

I've been a Star Wars fan since the beginning too, Diane! Saw it at the theater, and back then, the special effects were something else (not so much now...but the movie's still awesome). I spent countless hours longing to be a Jedi and staring at the stars with all the innocent wonder and dreams only children have. I can't wait for The Last Jedi, and I'm still waiting to assume my hidden Jedi powers, not to mention my light saber!

Diane Burton said...

LOL, CJ. At the time (1977), those special effects were so fantastic. I heard/read that because Lucas couldn't get the effects he wanted, he built up a whole new business (Industrial Light & Magic) just for Star Wars. Now ILM does so many other films. Get that light saber ready, this may be your time. :))

Maureen said...

Great post! I've watched some of the Star Wars but have to admit, I'm sadly lacking in knowledge and haven't seen them all. Someday I just need to sit down and watch them all in order. :)

J Hali Steele said...

Watched some Star Wars but not all of them. One day I plan to catch up!

Margo Hoornstra said...

The first Star Wars movie was fascinating. Very well done. How great is that you've brought two more generations - and counting - into the fan base. Hope you got those receipts entered. LOL

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

I enjoyed the Star Wars movies too, Diane. Love your cover!
Good luck and God's blessings
PamT

Diane Burton said...

Enjoy your marathon, Maureen, when you get to it. I would watch them in the order they were released: IV, V, VI; I, II, III; VII, VIII (releases in Dec.) Episodes I, II, III, while they give background, weren't well received by fans. I'm on the fence with that.

Diane Burton said...

Same message to you, Halli. Do enjoy them when you get a chance.

Diane Burton said...

Margo, LOL. I got most of the receipts entered. Good think that marathon was all day (and the next).

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Pam. As always, I appreciate your blessings.

Nancy Gideon said...

YOU? A Star Wars fanatic? Who knew! Ha! We have like EVERY version of the Star Wars movies . . . If something is released with an extra 3 sec clip, we'd have to have it. I still think the first 2 originals are the absolute ULT in adventure and the Hero's Journey. A must watch and study for every writer.