Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year by @MeganSlayer

The most wonderful time of the year...is now! 

Have you heard that a ton of times? I have. For the longest time, I wondered what that meant. Now, follow me here. I don't mean, I didn't know Christmas was awesome. That's not it. 

In the last few years, it's been tough around this time of the year. Two of my grandparents passed away in December - not the same year, but it's never easy. I was blessed with extra grandparents. At one time, I had four sets. Yep, four. Grandparents and Great-Grandparents. Honestly, it was very cool. Also a culture clash, but I miss it. I miss them. I see ornaments given to us by them or even just the stuff we inherited and it's tough.

Besides, 2016 has been a tough year. Our first dog, the one we've had a long time - almost 14 years - passed away. This has been the first holiday season without her. We have other dogs and the cats, but she was one of our children. Explaining to people why a song or a commercial makes me cry is rough. Canon in D makes me think of when I got married, which makes me think of being young and getting the dog... and yeah, tears.

But over Thanksgiving, I came to a realization. I looked at all of the reasons I wasn't fond of this time of the year and got depressed. But that's now that the holiday season is for. Sure, we should look back on the year and our lives and reflect. But it's more than that. For me, it's looking back on the things that happened and the fun. What did we accomplish? How did we grow.

I managed to deal with health problems, survived surgery and am so glad I went through the trial. I feel better, that's for sure.

I wrote in a Kindle World. That was big. I did a completely self-published project and put it out. 

I'm raising the boy and successfully got him through another Cross Country season. He improved his time and is doing 5k races after the season. 

Dh is my biggest support and I love him. We've grown a ton through the year.

I visited the Cincinnati Reds baseball park. #win

I've got great friends who have my back and I cherish them.

I've got goals for next year. Writing another kindle world book, continuing the Sanctuary series, continuing the Cedarwood series... writing as much as the muse allows... and being happy for what I have and those in my life. 

What about you? What are you looking forward to? What's on your 2017 bucket list? I'd love to know. Maybe we can compare notes. :-)

Here's a book that was a bright spot for me in 2015, Harvest Moon :-)

Harvest Moon by Megan Slayer  
Moon Series, book 2Also part of the Bleh! Turkey! SeriesMLR PressContemporary, Paranormal, HolidayShort StoryM/M, Anal SexWhat's a guy to do when the time to be with family is the time he dreads the most?
All Matt Green wants for Thanksgiving is to propose to his boyfriend in the most epic way he knows-in front of their families. There's only one catch. His boyfriend, Reed Jordan, doesn't do family gatherings. To be honest, Reed isn't wild about Thanksgiving, but he won't say why.
Matt's willing to do anything in order to get Reed to talk, but will it make the holiday perfect or or ruin all of Matt's plans? The Harvest Moon just might be the right omen to make everything all right. Available now at:MLR Press: http://www.mlrbooks.com/Bookstore.php?bookid=MSHARVMNAmazon: http://www.amazon.com/Harvest-Moon-Megan-Slayer-ebook/dp/B00PYVBTBY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1416954595&sr=8-9&keywords=megan+slayer * * * * * 
Megan Slayer - It's Always Fun to Squirm
Subscribe to our newsletter ~ http://ymlp.com/xgjmjumygmgj 

3 comments:

Diane Burton said...

Oh, Megan. You have been through a lot. My grandparents, too, died at Christmas time. Different years. Now I realize how hard the holidays were for my mother. Losing a favored pet is so hard. Congrats on what you accomplished this year.

We have a choice to look forward or back. But especially to live in the NOW. We can't do anything about the past. The future isn't here yet. Still, we can plan, to set into motion what we want to accomplish. My goal for 2017 is to publish 2 novels and a novella. More importantly, to enjoy the right now.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing. I just lost my mother so I will take your advice and remember the Christmases we had together.

Wendi Zwaduk and Megan Slayer said...

Thanks Diane. I appreciate it. ((hugs)) It's hard for everyone, but exactly, look forward, while thinking about the past. I hope you do get those two novels and the novella pubbed. Fingers crossed for you!

Victoria, ((((hugs)))) Look at the Christmases you've had and embrace them. ((hugs))