Wednesday, January 13, 2016

New SF Movies in 2016



Each year (or half-year), my science fiction writer friend Jessica E. Subject posts a list of movies to see. This year’s selection made my ears perk up. What a great bunch of movies to look forward to. Many I haven’t heard of or didn’t realize the movie had been made.

Here’s my take on some of Jessica’s list.

400 Hundred Days: 4 astronauts locked away in a simulation of deep space travel to test their mental state. But is it a simulation? That reminds me of the Syfy Channel movie, Ascension, in reverse. This sounds interesting from a writer’s point of view. What are the psychological effects of long-term space travel? How would this affect the characters in our stories?

Allegiant (The Divergent series): Like Harry Potter and Hunger Games, the last book is made into two movies. I’ll definitely see this one, if only to see how the end is handled. I didn’t like the end of the book.

Independence Day: Resurgence: It’s 20 years after the aliens are defeated and now they’re ba-ack. This is one sequel I didn’t realize was being made. Loved the first movie. Any time it’s on TV, I’ll watch it. Too bad Will Smith isn’t in the sequel. But with Roland Emmerich directing, it’s got to be good.

Star Trek Beyond: Of course, I’ll see this one. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the series reboot. The cast is back, but with a new director.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: This should be interesting. The story takes place between Episodes III and IV, closer to IV. The cast looks interesting. Another Christmas release. My Star Wars fanatic grandson will love this.

Speaking of Star Wars, on Monday I wrote about the newest Star Wars movie on my own blog.

Will you watch any of the above? If you’ve read, Jessica’s post, which of her movies (that I didn’t list) will you see?

Diane Burton writes science fiction romance, romantic suspense, and mysteries. Her latest release is a PI mystery, The Case of the Fabulous Fiance. She blogs here on the 13th of the month and on her own blog on Mondays

No comments: