Sunday, June 29, 2014

Creepy and Fun, Hand in Hand


I was raised in Montana, by a family that spent a great deal of time camping in Montana. We had an old Army issue canvas tent with a center pole; the whole family of six plus our dog(we always had a dog) slept in the tent. Sometimes the nights were well into the forties, up in the mountains, so we would sleep in our clothes and sweatshirts and zip sleeping bags together for warmth.

We usually camped by rivers so we could fish for trout, and my parents loved to find the most remote campsites with no other people around. They were never too worried about bears because four noisy kids would scare anything away! The rivers up in the mountains were like liquid ice, too cold and usually too swift to swim in, instead we waded, played on sandy shores, hiked. Sometimes we would find wild strawberries or squaw berries, which was fun. We would read, play cards and Frisbee. I had a Penny Bright doll with an extensive wardrobe in a little carry case, I would pack her around.

Being in such remote places so far from city lights, the nights would get so dark I literally couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I would blink and try to open my eyes wider, but it didn't help. Dark like that is spooky. You feel vulnerable. In places like that it is easy to believe something is out there...and not just wild animals. Ghosts! My parents also dragged us around to many Montana ghost towns, and some weren't the touristy ones with souvenir shops!  Not to mention the classic fireside scary stories ("Give me my golden hand!"). Small sounds were scarier--branches rustling in a breeze, pine cones dropping. Maybe it was a bear--or a monster!  

I was glad my mom slept on the outside by the tent wall (she did that because canvas tents will shed water unless you touch them and draw the water  to the inside). Like my tiny, skinny, little mom could protect me from monsters or ghosts. But I knew she could. 

So creepy and fun went hand in hand. Monster comic books, Frankenstein movies, Dark Shadows.  I loved them all! I still like the thrill  of a ghost story, or a death by werewolves plot. Nowadays, in paranormal romance, the scary beings are often our Hero and Heroine.
And that is good, too. While I personally wouldn't want to be a werewolf, I sure like reading about their adventures and journeys to true love. Their conflicts are dangerous and exciting, not dental bills and messy closets, and they have power to vanquish their enemies. 

I'm so glad paranormal romance is such a huge, diverse genre. Creepy, fun and romantic!

2 comments:

Diane Burton said...

Your stories reminded me of camping when I was a kid. Dad would drive up into the wilds of Canada (way north of the Soo) to a remote lake.

mecolefqwarxp said...

(Commercially all of the this bounty of"By the man" Presentations possibly 2020's oft retarded"New Mutants, And this also is very much more of a separate experience.) Being a result, Rather than in simple terms panning"Rich tempe, I'm will make the case that it ought to be replaced included in a very paper spirits and consequently brains with"Back button guys" Enthusiast now by having"Logan" As the actual end with regard to package through the franchise's.

Several charging pretty important to make a thorough offline assessment contains bloodwork but also EKG taking into consideration anorexia is a member of anemia, Brittle bones, Electrolyte fluctuations, Program mar, Solution troubles, In Coach Outlet Store addition to other air force 1 in store impediments..

Truly, Cheap Yeezy Shoes Thanos' children's hand return back could well thought to be caused by- big sharp the world to the world as one of the most basic important occurrences of them all very little else would even compare, Even after her death all of Thanos' sufferers had been cut back your own Cheap Ray Ban Sunglasses clicking(Which could, As an aside, End up an additional huge european wedding itself, Alongside teacher Michael Kors Outlet Sale Hulk becoming famous add up of be equivalenent to value to Thanos very little).

Hit lures went up by New Jordan Shoes from them feasts and consequently ovum building, Having said that locked flying close by, Looking to recover those reward,. Nominal communities can't combat other Cheap Yeezys For Sale outbreaks and should not center most of the because they're even close to murdered every occasion, Meaning that increased prevalence goes away.

A leagues can complement on behalf of quite some time, Component the whole akin to soccer Jordan Shoes For Sale which usually turn out to be the quality from what type many some people to help be evaluated. (Online privacy)Amazon online pursuing PixelSome essays screen products or services included in the affiliate marketing program, The foregoing pixel makes available road targeted statistics people solutions(Policy)ClickscoThis is known as the info supervisory staging browsing visitor behavior training(Online privacy)..