Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Live Long and Prosper


A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away…

This was my first science fiction memory, the beginning of my journey on a path toward space ships, aliens, and a sense of open-mindedness.  Let me put on my geek hat. *dusts it off*

I am a trekkie, brown coat wearing whovian. I can’t speak Klingnon but when my oldest was two he seemed fluent. My youngest owns the one ring and will one day rule us all. At least once every few days the words “You shall not pass” are cried out in my household.

My husband, who was raised by normal people, is somewhat naïve and will declare he is the red shirt of the family. When I’m feeling trapped by mundane life I singing

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me
.” (Theme song to Firefly)

I find it helps me pull the ball and chain of reality.

If aliens landed would I run to their ship to say welcome them? No.  I think we would be the Native Americans to their European colonist. I do get really excited when I hear things like NASA is working on a faster than light engine! Will I be alive when they use it? I doubt it but I’d sure love to retire on the Moon.
 
http://www.amazon.com/Refuge-Known-Universe-Annie-Nicholas-ebook/dp/B00IPQX00I/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1397563049&sr=8-10&keywords=annie+nicholas
 
Life on the run can be very lonely.
Hunted to near extinction by an alien race called the Ko, my people have run from Earth and drifted so far among the stars we can’t remember the way back. We live everywhere, but call nowhere home. The Ko want us erased from existence and memory. They don’t even want our DNA in the space dust. Humans disguise themselves as other alien species and hide in plain sight. It’s the only way we can survive.
 
I believe in the myth of Earth. I’ve even discovered a bona fide book written in the dead language of my people. My man, Brody, dreams of a secret human colony. He’s searched for years, hunting any rumor we’ve run across, and finally he’s made contact. Usually, he’s the one grounding me to station and keeping my head out of the atmosphere. Time for me to return the favor…that is, if I can ditch the Ko who’ve discovered me, thanks to my incessant artifact-hunting. If we don’t make our rendezvous, and the Ko don’t kill me, Brody just might…
CONTENT WARNING: Aliens, cargo ships, and a fast paced race against all odds.

Annie Nicholas

No comments: