Sunday, November 10, 2013

Lest We Forget - Remembrance Day & Veteran's Day

Veronica sez: One from the Archives by Amy Ruttan which seemed especially timely to me. And of course November 11th is also the America Veterans Day, when we honor all those who fought for our country in so many times and places!

From SXC by knox_x
Tomorrow is an important day. On November 11th in Canada we celebrate Remembrance Day.

On the 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month the fight of World War I came to an end. Now we use that day to remember all those who fought and continue to fight for our freedom.

I thought I would take a moment to think about my great-grandfather Ernest Vincent Harding who was a member of the 95th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Forces.

I didn't know much about this. I just knew he was a war hero and he fought in WWI. Also he was an awesome great grandfather. He died when I was about 8 or 9 from Alzheimer's, but my memories of him are pleasant. He was always happy to see his great grand kids.

The family also has TV footage of an interview City TV did back in the 80s of Remembrance Day and they interviewed him. Something I can show my kids.

I'd never Googled him before. So I did tonight. I have to say I'm even prouder of him than before.

The 95th Battalion of the CEF were so respected and revered for combat efficiency the Germans called them Stormtroopers. The Allied Commanders revered them so much they spearheaded many of the final campaigns of the WWI.

I'm even more proud of him.

So let's all take a moment to think about those who fought and continue to fight for our freedom and remember those who never came back home, sacrificing their life so we could be free.



1 comment:

Diane Burton said...

A very nice tribute to your grandfather.