Monday, April 22, 2013

Mermaids off the coast of Duluth

by Stephanie Beck

Whenever I sit down to write paranormal, I have to think about what kind of world I want it in. Lately, I've found that I don't mind a word that defies gravity a little, but sometimes it's hard to get through the logistics, especially if it is a shorter story. Setting a whole new world is fun, but time consuming--and word consuming.

A few friends and I are putting together short paranormal stories for a collaboration and I'm hitting bricks on just how wild I can be in 10,000 words (that's a short story). I know, for sure, I need to be careful not to set too wild of a setting or too heavy of a backstory--that would eat at words I want to use to develop a  new story.

But at the same time, how can I skimp on describing mermaids and the beautiful coast along Lake Superior in Duluth (they are Duluthie Mermaids)? It's going to be a balance--but I am so excited to start...and finish!



What is your favorite part about paranormal stories? I have always loved when the authors do big world building--like Kresley Cole--I love how hers are familiar, but sooo cool. And I dig when the characters do very human things, even when they don't have to.

All the best,
Stephanie Beck
www.stephaniebeck.net
www.facebook.com/StephanieBeckAuthor
www.twitter.com/StephBeck123
www.pinterest.com/StephanieBeckpins

No comments: