Monday, February 4, 2013

In Your Face Promotion

It's that time of year where authors are frantically ordering promotional items to get ready for conventions. So, continuing my post last month about promotion online - this time I'm talking about physical promotion. Bookmarks, free books, shot glasses, cozies, t-shirts, coffee mugs, lip balm, pen, etc... I know I have a personal preference about what kind of promotion that I like as a reader. During a convention, I like bookmarks and coverflats because I can snag them to look into the book when I have time to sit down at my computer. I can back from the Romantic Times Booklovers Convention in Chicago last year with a stack of paper promotional items that I set on my desk so I could go through them at my leisure.

During the Ellora's Cave Romanticon in Akron last year, I handed out cozies and shot glasses. Once I put the cozies out on the promo table, they were going faster than I could re-stock. As far as the shot glasses, I was skeptical about how they would be received because, while I've seen authors give out the cozies, the shot glasses were something new But I was pleasantly surprised to find they went like hot cakes! The fact I only gave them out during the book signing (meaning someone had to actually come SEE me in order to get one) made them "special".

I won't be carting shotglasses to the RT convention in Kansas City this year because I'm flying, so I'm trying to figure out something else "special" to give out during the book signings. I have a few ideas, but I can't seem to settle on one particular thing that I can carry with me.

What kind of promotional items would like to see authors give out during conventions, or even during special promotions?

No comments: