Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The First Day

In many parts of the country, today is the first day of school. It's been a while since my daughter had her first very first day of kindergarten as she's starting her sophomore year. Though my daughter insists she has enough stuff on her plate to deal with without adding further complications (such a relationships), I wonder what the future holds for her. Recalling her school memories: driving her to her first day of kindergarten, putting her on the bus for the first time in middle school and the subsequent phone call later that afternoon that she'd taken the wrong bus home, and even attending her first high school orientation. It causes me to recall some of my own school memories.

See, right now, my daughter is just a few short months younger than I was when I met my husband. Yep. We met midway through my sophomore year, which was his senior year. I was 15, he was 17. We were friends at first, then good friends. Then he surprised me with a kiss in the quad area of our school during lunch. Two months later, fresh from his 18th birthday and graduation from high school,  he shipped off to Parris Island for basic training for the United States Marine Corps. Everyone said we'd never last, yet over twenty years later here we sit getting ready to send our daughter off for her own sophomore year.


No comments: