Wednesday, November 16, 2011

An Author's Throne...

Okay, so maybe our desk chairs aren't exactly thrones, but I write fantasy! Humor me. ;)

I have gone through I think five desk chairs during the time I've been writing, which as been about three years. Either the seat cushions have smushed flat or they've hurt my back. Just miserable stuff. This last chair I've had six months and the cushion was nothing. I was basically sitting on the particle board base (ouch) through the leather.

So anyway, I heard there was a nice sale going on at Office Depot. I wanted to order online, but one of my crit partners told me to leave the writer cave and venture into the world. I'm glad she did. The chair I'd wanted online was miserable. I ended up finding one I hadn't noticed on the site. This is it...


It was regularly around $179 or so? On sale, I got it for $89. I thought for less that $100 I could give it a try. So far, so good. My back is still killing me, but I imagine it will take a couple of days for the pain my other chair was causing to ease. Well, and I think I pulled something putting this one together. It's easy to assemble, but it's a sturdy one. *wince*

How about y'all? What type of chair do you use? Do you burn through them as fast as I seem to?

5 comments:

Sheri Fredricks said...

Hailey - you bring up a "sore" subject. My office is a computer armoire placed between the kitchen and dining room. I'm in the middle of some serious foot traffic here and live with two teenage boys. The hand-me-down secretary chair used to have arm rests, until the boys broke one off. The height is adjustable, but with a flattened tush cush, what does it matter? Ibuprofen taken in small doses on a daily basis is okay, isn't it? I want a new chair!

bettielee said...

Last year I had a little bit of money left over on my tax return and I spent $250 on a chair. It was the best $250 I've ever spent.

Annie Nicholas said...

I've been thinking about a new throne. My present chair is hard wood and has arm rest. It's sold and heavy and very, very, cold.

But it was my Dad's. He worked in this chair for 15 years and I can't give it up. Even when my tush complains.

Annie Nicholas said...

Maybe I'll just add a cushion.

Hailey Edwards said...

Oh Sheri, I feel your pain.

Betti, I agree. I hate spending so much money on chairs, but they're a necessity.

Annie, I couldn't do that. You're a braver woman than I. LOL I would find somewhere for the chair to go other than my desk. Somewhere it would be used but not primarily for writing.