Thursday, September 1, 2011

Writing Fluidly

Every time I finish a story, I take a look at what I have sitting in the work-in-progress folders and see where to go next. Not surprisingly, my "plan" is pretty fluid. I've learned to roll with the punches and just follow along with where my brain takes me. Luckily, I'm not under any kind of deadlines, so letting my brain take me where it may is easy.

For example, last month, I told a few friends that my plan was to finish a contemporary erotic romance I was working on, then I would tackle a futuristic erotic romance short and go from there. Well...it didn't work out that way. I actually ended up finishing a paranormal erotic romance novella instead. Erm, yeah. Not sure where that came from.

So, back to the contemporary, right? Nope, on to the futuristic short instead. But I'm sure I'll fiddle off and on with the contemporary. In fact, I have three contemporaries that I want to get finished, all full length. But really, the important thing is if, you're the kind of writer who can go along with changes easily, follow where your brain is taking you.

Why?

I've yet to encounter a time where my brain failed me when it lead me somewhere I hadn't expected.

1 comment:

Ryssa Edwards said...

Writing fluidly is so important. If you roll with your characters, they'll roll with you!