Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Legs? Who Needs 'Em!

I was just commenting on Annie's post about how when I was a kid, all I wanted to be was a mermaid. I had it all planned out, how I would have a pet dolphin and go on treasure hunts. It was going to be a good life, and I spent every waking moment in my aunt's pool to get ready for it. Sadly, I never did grow my own tail. I did, however, inspire my aunt to sew me a tail from swimsuit fabric. It was beautiful, all purple and iridescent. The best part was that I could wear it in the pool and practice. Yeah, I had big dreams back then.

Now that I'm all grown up, I still love the ocean, love to swim, but I've accepted I'm stuck with legs instead of a tail. *sigh* At least in fiction, we're given the chance to escape the surface and dive into oceanic life.

I think mermance has yet to win me over. I have a love of the creatures and the setting, but I'm waiting for that one book that sets a president, you know?

Virginia Kantra's Children of the Sea series is a  good place to start if you're looking for a good ocean-set series, though her series revolves around selkies rather than mermaids.

You can read an excerpt of the first book in her series here.

How about y'all? Is there one book or series that will make a mermance believer out of me?

1 comment:

Annie Nicholas said...

When I used to dive I always kept an eye open for one hiding in the corals.