Saturday, April 16, 2011

F is for Forgetful

*Blushes*
Ooops, my bad. I got up this morning with the best of intentions to blog about fairytales, but ending up getting side tracked with a sick baby and housework and cooking for a 40th birthday party I'm throwing tonight. So spontanous is the name of the game today.

What triggered my memory? Well I was listening to love songs while I cleaned and all of a sudden, the bulb lit in my head. So here I am, tap-dancing my way through a post.

Which got me to thinking...

What triggers memories of happy things? Smell is the strongest trigger to memories. The scent of cinnamin reminds me of my grandmother, so does red roses. The smell of leather--growing up on my grandfather's ranch and all the hot cowboys he'd had as hired hands. When I smell clover after a rain, I think of riding my horse through the fields in the warm summer air. When I hear the meadowlark, it takes me back home. Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA", reminds me of the day I enlisted in the Army. The smell of a diesel, the day my love came back from deployment in the Gulf.

So, do you incorporate smells, sights, tastes and sounds that bring back memories into your story? If so, what are they. What are your triggers?

Have a great weekend.

D L

No comments: