Monday, August 30, 2010

Out ot the Left Feild

Every writer has written a story they weren't too sure of. I'm not immune to this. Most of my reading life, I've spent my time reading sci-fi books from such greats as Larry Niven, Arthur C. Clark, and CJ Cherryh yet I write mostly paranormal romance.

Last year, I took a chance and poured all creativity in a short novella called Red Dawn, my first sci-fi romance. It was difficult because I wanted to make so much more of my story but feared exposing that part of my soul to world. Even to this day I love those characters but I never promoted the novella like my other books, afraid to hear anything bad about this one.

I got a wonderful surprise this morning and am feeling more emotional about this review than any other I've recieved. Red Dawn got Joyfully Recommended. Someone loved my sci-fi baby.



"This author combines all the early insight and innovation of the genre in her work, makes it shine with clear, crisp writing and freshness. I hope she will continue this series because Ms. Nicholas revives sci-fi fiction with narrative vigor, while staying true to herself. She grasps the concepts and foundation set long before by authors such as Arthur C. Clark, Isaac Asimov, Harlan Ellison, Poul Anderson and others. What sets her work apart is she does it with emotion and technical finesse, which is why I have the pleasure of recommending this story."  Patrice F.


This came just in time, like someone threw me a life saver. I'd spent three weeks this summer working on a sci-fi novel series and shelved it two weeks ago. I think I'm ready to pull it down and take a look at it again.

Do you have a genre you love but find difficult to write or relate too as a reader?

3 comments:

Ella Drake said...

What a wonderful review! Congrats & I do hope you take the story down from the shelf.

J Hali Steele said...

Annie, Annie! That is awesome. Isaac Asimov!! YOU GO GIRL!
Congratulations.

katsrus said...

Congrats on the great review.
Sue B