Saturday, October 31, 2009

Forever Bites by Adrianne Brennan




How do you like your vampires to take their immortality? With open arms like Spike from Buffy and Lestat from Anne Rice’s books? Or more like Angel, cursed with a soul and Louis, who hated what he became? Perhaps a mixture of the two?


Vampires are beings of legend and while many in their modern form retain some semblance of human nature, often times they are removed from us both in attitude and in lifestyle. Besides the obvious changes of sleeping during the day and subsisting solely on blood, often times they are portrayed as either losing their soul (and therefore their conscience) or becoming amoral and indifferent to their “prey”.

But there’s one thing that all have in common: immortality. What does it mean to live forever? If you had to live forever, how would you choose to spend the time? Would you want such an extended lifespan? Given our sun will eventually go supernova and take our planet with it, does “forever” even exist?

What do you think?




NOTE: Comment on this post and be entered to win a free PDF of either A Memory on Record or The Longest Night—your choice!
Don't forget to leave us a way to contact you.

16 comments:

Sandra Sookoo said...

Awesome covers! For me, vamps need to come with a piece of humanity. I don't know if I'd like to live forever. Imagine the horror you'd live to see. I like the vampire mythology because it seems to me they love fiercely and try to die loyally :-) Even when it's not possible.

s7anna said...

Hey Adrianne,
Loved your post...extremely apropos for the day :)
I don't know whether it makes any difference being immortal for eternity when really eternity is going to be determined by the planet's state in a couple hundred or thousand years...

If I chose to be a vampire, I would love to spend eternity just reading away...that would be heaven :)

Happy Halloween!!!
Anna Shah Hoque
s7anna@yahoo.ca

J Hali Steele said...

Happy Halloween! Adrianne. I'd love to live forever. I'd lose a little of my soul, become a tad amoral, I don't think that could be helped. But one person would surely come along who'd make me just a bit more civilized, show me that I'm still one of the Lord's children - that's a day I'd live forever to see.

Love your covers!

Debby said...

Nice post. If I were a vampire I wold accept it and move on and explore all the possibilities.

Debby said...

sorry debby236 @ att.net

Virginia C said...

I would not want to live forever without my loved ones and my pets. It is better not to have a soul if you live forever. Actually, then you are not living, just existing.

gcwhiskas at aol dot com

Unknown said...

I don't know if I would want to live that long without the people I love around me I would get very lonely I think.

arafel1962@yahoo.com

Judy said...

Immortality sounds fantastic, until you get to thinking about it. After a hundred years you would not know a soul on this earth, except your other vampire buddies. According to most vampire lore, nothing would change about you or the others around you. I am glad I do not have to make this kind of choice!!

Jaxxy said...

I think that being immortal would really suck (no pun intended) because you would have to experience so many horrible things, ex: the end of the world. But I certainly love reading about vamps :D

ArcadiaWearsPrada@Twilighters.org

Mitz said...

Actually, I like them both some bad and some good. I am a vampire fanatis to begin with and believe both types have their own unique qualities about them...

Love the covers by the way...

misty_labean@yahoo.com

Stephanie Julian said...

Not sure I'd want to live forever but I love to read about it. You pose an interesting question, Adrianne.

Mindy said...

Happy Halloween :)
I prefer my vampies like Spike & LeStat (The Brat ;) )
Embrace what is given to you & drain every drop of enjoyment out of the time you're given.
Would I want to live forever?
good question, If I had an immortal companion/soulmate YES!

Mindy V-V
Birdsooong@aol.com

Carol L. said...

Well, if I could have a beautiful looking mate to spend all that time with , Yes. :)
Love the covers as well.
Carol L.
Lucky4750@aol.com

Susan Hanniford Crowley said...

I love vampires. Your covers are wonderful. Please, enter me to win A Memory On Record. Thanks.

Susan Hanniford Crowley
onlyladyknight@yahoo.com

Annie Nicholas said...

I'd want to live forever. There so much to do and explore. It's the not seeing sunlight part that would disturb me the most.

Unknown said...

Hi :)
I think it would get very lonely to live 'forever'.
Thanks for sharing,
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo