Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy 4th of July

Just so happens this is my favorite holiday. Mostly because it's hot. I love heat. I'm not a person who endures the cold well. And then there's fireworks. I'm like a kid when it comes to the colors splashing in the sky. The noise is exciting and makes my heart pump. I feel alive.

Last night my sisters and a best friend made me go out. Said I needed it. They know me pretty well and were probably right. I had a good time. I relaxed and enjoyed some really awesome music. We went to a place in the area called Arthur's where it was open mike night.

Let me tell you - they jammed. I mean good old fashioned music blaring, foot tapping, guitar playing frenzy.

I happen to run into a gentleman I hadn't seen for a long time. We'd worked together back in the 80's. He's a musician and damned good. We caught up on old times and what we're both doing now. I told him about my writing, he shared stories about his music. Turns out he's created some original pieces for others to enjoy.
Now, I'm thinking I need fantastic music for the trailers I do so I asked if he could do something for me and he thinks he can. I left feeling so good, hopes high and now I can't wait to hear from him. He invited me back to listen to his group and I plan to go.
My sisters were right, my friend was right - I needed to get out. The fact that I met an old friend only made it better. The fact I had a foot-stomping good time made it worth it. I'm looking forward to the third Thursday of the month now. Only problem is the third Thursday of this month I'll be in DC at RWA. But there is always August.

The great time I spent with family and friends was refreshing. I'm looking forward to the weekend and fireworks. I'm looking forward to the color and the noise riding across the sky, sending chills up my spine.

Then it'll be back to work.

Share with me your favorite 4th of July memory. Was it a cookout, fireworks or just spending time with family and friends?

Have a great Independence Day weekend and remember:
Growl and roar-it's okay to let the beast out. - J. Hali Steele

6 comments:

Sandra Sookoo said...

Yay for getting out and away from the writing! :-) I can't remember the last time I actually saw fireworks. I'm not a big nature girl and just the thought of being outside at nighttime with the bugs, etc., creeps me out LOL Crowds kinda freak me out too. So how will I enjoy the long weekend? Hubby wants to go see a movie, and maybe some mini-golf, etc. :-)

Have a great holiday!

Rebecca Royce said...

To me Fourth of July is about when I was a child at sleep away camp and we'd all gather on the green lawn and watch fire works. I'd sit there and try to imagine what my life would be like. I guess even then I couldn't help but live in my own head. LOL. But you're right, the 4th is a really fun holiday and I'm so glad you got out!!

Kathye Quick said...

YOU NEED TO PARTY ONCE IN A WHILE.

LATER ON I'LL WATCH THE FIREWORKS FROM THE FRONT PORCH. FORTUNATELY THE CELEBRATION IS CLOSE AND I DON'T HAVE TO LEAVE HOME FOR IT.

Chiron said...

My favorite Fourth memory was when I was living in Tahoe. A bunch of us went down to the lake, stretched out blankets and laid down to watch the fireworks right over our heads! It was so amazing... Wow...

I'm lucky in having a husband who plays music with me on Saturday nights. Saturday's our night to let go of the stress and just have fun. We sip wine and play music until our fingers can't take it, and then hang out watching music on YouTube.

There's some amazing new songs out there along with old favorites. Who knew Paul Simon did a version of Surfer Girl or that Willie Nelson did the best version of Paul Simon's Graceland? Watching Keith Richards and Norah Jones duet on Love Hurts is a revelation. The new stuff--Corinne Bailey Rae just blows me away. Wow.

And then there's the Flight of The Conchords. Those boys always make me laugh so hard I'm in danger of spilling my wine. *grin*

Happy Fourth!

Smiles,
Chiron O'Keefe
The Write Soul: www.chironokeefe.blogspot.com

Annie Nicholas said...

Chiron, you given some things look for on youtube thanks!

We're spending it at the beach on the lake if it's nice or going to see Ice Age III if it rains. I'm not American so I don't have any childhood memories but I'm happy to create ones for my boys. Have happy holiday everyone and be safe. See you Monday!

J Hali Steele said...

WOW! See I started celebrating too early.

Sandi - you gotta get bug bitten once in a while... no better time than the 4th. But enjoy the movie and golf.

Rebecca - the 4th always brings out the kid in me. There's lots of jumping around and oohing and ahhing!

Kathye - I've already started the party - ribs are in the marinade, homemade sangria chilling... *grins*

Chiron - You're Tahoe memory reminds me of shots from old movies of picnickers lying out waiting for the show of fire in the sky - love it!

Annie - I'm with you...off to YouTube.

Thanks guys for stopping by.

Now, back to celebrating (maybe a little writing-well that's a for sure) but I will break for the big fireworks show tonight.